The CSI Social Economy Survey
Invitation to participate in research: Annual insights from Australia's not-for-profit and social impact organisations
Increasingly referred to as the ‘social economy’, researchers at the Centre for Social Impact are conducting a national project that aims to build our understanding of the Australian for-purpose sector over the next 3 years.
Why do we want to learn more about it?
There is growing global interest in this sector because of its potential to address societal challenges and contribute to sustainable economic growth.
The terms ‘for-purpose sector’ and ‘social economy’ refer to those organisations that are engaged in economic, social, and environmental activities to serve the collective and/or general interest.
The social economy, as a sector, is not currently well-understood, either within Australia or globally. This research aims to fill this gap by conducting an annual survey of the social economy in Australia over the next 3 years.
What's involved in the research project?
The Centre for Social Impact is aiming to recruit a representative set of approximately 200 organisations who would be willing to complete a short survey once each year for 3 years.
The survey will ask questions aimed at:
- Understanding how organisations in the sector currently interact
- How collaboration can best be encouraged and supported
It will also enable the collection of data on anticipated future issues and risks for the sector.
- The survey will take approximately 20 to 30 minutes to complete
- It can be completed online or, if it is more convenient, a member of the research team can contact you and administer the survey over the telephone or via Microsoft Teams
- All survey participants will remain anonymous
Who is eligible to take part?
You are eligible to participate in this research if you are a CEO or senior manager, you are 18 or over, and your organisation meets one of the following criteria:
- Your organisation is a registered charity or not-for-profit organisation
- Your organisation is a social enterprise
- Your organisation is a philanthropic or grant-making organisation that funds for-purpose activity
- Your organisation is a co-operative or mutual.
Are there any benefits to organisations who take part?
All participating organisations will be invited to join pre-release workshops, where the research team will present the initial findings for review and discussion, ahead of the finalisation and launch of a public report.
Participating organisations will also have the opportunity to nominate topics to be considered for inclusion in future rounds of the survey.
Register your interest to join the study
If you would like to take part in this research, please register your interest below.